Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) involve a broad range of technologies used in the transportation environment. ITS encompasses wireless and wireline communications, information processing, control, and electronic technologies integrated into the transportation system and vehicles. ITS improves safety, maximizes mobility, helps to fulfill traveler information needs, and supports enhanced security for our transportation system. By promoting and advancing ITS programs, we help to provide safe and efficient transportation for the Commonwealth.
Some specific technologies include:
- Smart workzones
- On-board navigation systems
- Collision avoidance systems
- Crash notification systems
- Electronic payment systems
- Traffic detection
- Roadway weather information systems
- Advanced traffic signal systems
- Variable message signs
- Commercial vehicle tracking, permitting, and weigh-in motion systems
ITS has been widely accepted and is being used as a valuable means of solving transportation issues. To capture the benefits of ITS, federal, state, and local government agencies invest millions of dollars yearly into ITS.